AN INVITATION TO APPLY FOR THE POSITION OF SUPERINTENDENT
The ever-expanding campus at the Sussex Technical School District, Georgetown, Delaware, offers a “one-stop educational shopping experience” to county and regional residents.
The Sussex Technical School District proudly serves the citizens of Sussex County and the region by providing educational programming designed to improve the quality of life in our county. With over fifty years of service, Sussex Tech’s comprehensive offerings continue to expand to meet the diverse needs characterizing today’s highly technological work place and to be competitive in a global economy.
Each day, Sussex Technical High School provides unparalleled academic and technical secondary education to over 1,248 full-time students throughout Sussex County. With numerous awards and accolades including recognition by the State of Delaware and the United States Department of Education as the only two-time Blue Ribbon Awarded High School in the State of Delaware and recognition by the United States Office of Education as a National School of Excellence, Sussex Tech aggressively remains on the cutting edge of educational instructional reform through the successful implementation of block scheduling, integrated learning strategies, senior mastery projects, and other progressive practices.
Each evening Sussex Tech High School is transformed into an exciting comprehensive adult educational facility for thousands each year. Sussex Tech’s Extended Learning/Adult Division was recognized as Delaware’s Outstanding Adult/Literacy Service provider by the Lt. Governor in 1992, 1997, 2000 and 2008. Sussex Tech’s James H. Groves Adult High School was selected by the U.S. Department of Education as an outstanding adult education and literacy provider. The Extended Learning/Adult Division offers opportunities for apprenticeship education, Adult Basic Education (ABE), earning a diploma from our adult high school, preparing for the GED, learning a health profession in a certificate program, special interest programs, workplace education training, English as a Second Language education (ESL), computer training, and more.
The Sussex Tech Extended Learning/Adult Division operates in Georgetown, but is decentralized throughout Sussex County at 12 convenient satellite locations. Customized company training and career development is offered onsite, at Sussex Tech, or wherever it is most convenient.
Partnerships with Sussex Tech’s Extended Learning Division and higher education institutions such as Widener University and Delaware Technical Community College serve the interests of Sussex Tech High School students, as well as Sussex County and regional students.
Expectations of the Sussex Technical School District Superintendent:
- Leadership qualities and management philosophy with respect for board authority, administrative and teaching colleagues, other school staff, parents, and patrons;
- Educational leadership with the ability to articulate a vision of academic excellence;
- Expertise in school finance and successful budget management with commitment to fiscal accountability;
- The ability to balance issues raised in collective bargaining, with resources available to the school corporation;
- Commitment and ability to stay knowledgeable of educational challenges, state school funding policies, and legislative development;
- Experience in classroom teaching and school administration;
- Experience in planning and implementing school building programs;
- Specific strengths in curriculum development and evaluation.
- Evidence of skills in personnel functions including benefits, recruiting, selecting, evaluating and recommending effective faculty and staff.
Also, the candidate must have:
- High ethical and moral standards;
- Evidence of strong commitment to academic excellence for all students;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to work with a diverse constituency to evaluate and achieve common goals;
- Willingness to participate in community affairs and attend extra-curricular events;
- A commitment to keep Board members informed and make well-reasoned recommendations and be accountable for actions;
- An earned Doctorate Degree and Delaware Certification as a School Superintendent or eligibility for this certification by start date.
- Full time residency in Sussex County Delaware or within one year of employment.
Submission of a complete application packet which may be downloaded below at the bottom of this page. All application materials must be received at the following address by no later than 4:30 pm on Thursday, March 29, 2018.
18766 John J. Williams Highway, Unit 4
Rehoboth Beach, Delaware 19971
Sussex Technical School District reserves the right to extend or shorten the application and/or interview period and to modify job requirements.
Anticipated Start Date: July 1, 2018